Peel Integrated Waste Management Facility Tour. Discover how two hours can change your perception.
The Peel Integrated Waste Management Facility (PIWMF) is the largest of its kind in Canada and houses:
• a single stream Material Recovery Facility (MRF) where recyclable materials are sorted
• a waste transfer station
• an organics composting plant for yard waste and green bin organics processing
The material recovery facility has a capacity to process 130,000 tonnes of Blue Box material per year.
The organics composting plant can process 60,000 tonnes of organic material annually.
Come see and hear:
• The facility & implications/influences of packaging
• What happens at the facility?
• Good/bad "recyclable" packaging examples
• What happens to the packaging materials that are recyclable?
• What happens to garbage after collection?
• What happens to green bin organics after curbside collection?
• What happens to products or packaging that is "compostable"?
- Attendees are required to wear long pants (no leather), and Green Patch safety boots/shoes.
- If you have your own hard hat, vest, safety glasses, and Green Patch safety boots/shoes please bring.